News News
Contact us
  • Customer service number:64321087
  • Commercial service telephone:13918059423
  • Technical service telephone:13918059423
  • Contact person: Mr. Cui 
  • Service email:shxtb@163.com
  • Address: room 107, building 8, no. 100, guilin road, xuhui district, Shanghai

Powerful Rare-Earth Magnets Result In Lawsuits, Recalls

The date of: 2018-11-23
viewed: 1

Source:Investing News Network

A warning about magnets in toys this holiday season, despite years of lawsuits and recalls.

Small rare-earth magnets are known for their super strength, and can cause serious gastrointestinal injuries when kids swallow them.

Thousands of children have ended up in the emergency room after swallowing them, causing many magnetic toys to be recalled or even banned.

Some of these cases have also ended up in court.

Between 2006 and 2018, 10 lawsuits were filed against companies that used powerful small rare-earth magnets in their products.

The first was filed by a California boy's mother who sued Rose Art Industries after William Finley got a Magnetic toy building set as a gift.  He suffered intestinal and abdominal injuries after swallowing them.

In 2011, a class-action lawsuit resulted in a $3.5 million dollar settlement paid out by Mega Brands over dangerous magnetic toys.

In March of this year the parents of Braylon Jordan of Mississippi asked for a $20 million settlement against the makers of Buckyballs.

At 22 months, Braylon has swallowed eight Buckyballs and had to have his intestines and bowel removed, causing life-long complications.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission banned Zen Magnets and Neoballs in 2017.  To date, some 20 magnet products have been recalled.

But as one KELOLAND family found out, it's not just magnetic toys that can pose a danger to young children.

In 2016, Copper Chef created a patent for these magnetic trivets, using the same kind of rare-earth magnets in toys.

The silicone hot-pads had magnets so they would stick to cookware and protect surfaces from heat. 

The Trias family got a Copper Chef cookware set containing the trivets as a gift last winter. 

The Trias family sought out Watertown attorney Seamus Culhane after their youngest child, Monty swallowed four powerful magnets that he poked out of a Copper Chef trivet.

On Tuesday night's KELOLAND News Investigation, we show you what happened to Monty after he swallowed the powerful rare earth magnets and why his family says, unlike other cases around the country that ended up in court, they don't have that option. 


Hot News / Related to recommend
  • 2022 - 05 - 27
    Click on the number of times: 1
    source:scienceAbstractThe study of subtle effects on transport in semiconductors requires high-quality epitaxial structures with low defect density. Using hybrid molecular beam epitaxy (MBE), SrTiO3 f...
  • 2022 - 05 - 26
    Click on the number of times: 1
    source:news.yaleScientists have found a new, nanoscale link between superconductivity — the flow of electric current without a loss of energy — and a phenomenon known as charge density waves.The disco...
  • 2022 - 05 - 25
    Click on the number of times: 1
    source:natureAbstractAn optimized sol–gel protocol was carried out to produce an yttrium aluminum garnet (YAG) xerogel from aluminum alkoxide and an yttrium salt on a semi-pilot scale. This xerogel wa...
  • 2022 - 05 - 24
    Click on the number of times: 0
    source:phys.orgResearchers at Northeastern have discovered a new quantum phenomenon in a specific class of materials, called antiferromagnetic insulators, that could yield new ways of powering 'sp...
  • Copyright ©Copyright 2018 2020 Shanghai rare earth association All Rights Reserved Shanghai ICP NO.2020034223
    the host:Shanghai Association of Rare Earth the guide:Shanghai Development and Application Office of Rare Earth the organizer:Shanghai rare earth industry promotion center
    犀牛云提供云计算服务